Founded in 1854 by brothers William, Henry, and Charles Clark. The Clark Brothers’ made bolts, nuts, washers, screws, and rivets over the course of their companies existence. A fire destroyed the Clark plant, office, and warehouse in 1893, but the company rebuilt in Southington, constructing a 100,000-square-foot facility on Canal Street.
In the post-World War II era, Clark Brothers faced stiff competition from lower priced goods now available from overseas. Much like the other dozen bolt companies that once operated in Southington alongside the Clarks, the Clark Brothers Bolt Company eventually shut its doors in 1987, after 133 years in operation.
As Clark Brothers began preparing to cease operations, office personal sifted through entire store rooms full of materials accumulated by the business over the years. As a way to preserve the company’s legacy and contribute to the historical record of manufacturing in town, Clark Brothers donated records, photographs, and artifacts to the Southington Historical Society. Today, these materials are available for researchers interested in learning more about Southington’s industrial past.See more at: http://connecticuthistory.org/from-nuts-to-bolts
Press about our tenants: Another brewery planned for Southington factory building